Sunday, December 2, 2012

An Erstwhile Explanation: What I Did Over My Summer/Fall/Thanksgiving Vacations

So, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Originally, I started this blog as a means of keeping myself motivated, keeping myself moving forward, and keeping myself entertained back in the days when I was a new immigrant to the Windy City, young and full of ideals.

Then life took a turn, to say the least.

Part of my reluctance at updating this blog in the interim months since has been a fear of having to follow my last posting. I won't lie when I say that the response received from the eulogy I wrote for my mother was thoroughly overwhelming. Many of you reached out to me to let me know how much it affected you, and while it's a bizarre feeling to accept recognition for something entirely personal, I must thank everyone who's said anything in the months since April of 2012. It really does mean a lot, and I am eternally grateful for all of you.

Now, where were we.

In the ten months between now and then, I have finished two subsequent drafts of my novel, as well as given it a title. The Defenders of Avondale: Book One of the Atlantean Chronicles has clocked in at 142,000 + words, 475 + pages (double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman, thank you very much), and several sterling reviews from readers who may/may not be biased to accept my greatness before my ever having demonstrated it.

In all seriousness, I'm quite proud of the book (especially after the most recent edit. The world that I've been creating ever since my freshman year of high school has finally been recognized on the page, and I am continually gleeful about the new twists and turns waiting to be discovered there. So much so that I've already begun the outline for Book Two of the Atlantean Chronicles: Bryls'kin Boogaloo.

(One of these days, you'll understand why that last title is so freaking hilarious.)

The big push now is to get it published/find representation in order to get it published. I am harboring no illusions that this will be a quick process; if I find a publisher willing to give me money for my words by Christmas, I'll be happy as a clam.

That's Christmas of 2013, mind you.

Another major development is my finally directing a (semi) professional show! And it's Shakespeare, no less! Once again, the career of the struggling actor/writer/director takes a turn for the surreal, as I assume the reins of Free Shakespeare!'s summer performance of As You Like It, coming soon to a metropark in the Dayton, OH area near you!

I've worked with the company before, having played Lysander in their 2011 production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I like to think that the experience was a good one (my first ever unabashed lead/ingenue role!), and that our show was pretty good, too. This upcoming summer's production should be one of much fun, while remaining true to Shakespeare's text, as I have been taught and carefully trained over the years.

Oh, and expect street drumming and hippies.

The final major development in my career life is to seek out admission to graduate school. One of my mother's major wishes, I have reached the end of my third year out of undergraduate studies, a time when I told myself that I would see if my path had prepared me enough for continuing my education. Given the developments of the last several years, I feel that I'm at the very least ready to embrace such a choice, and am pursuing entrance to both Theatre Directing M.F.A.'s and Creative Writing M.F.A.'s.

(I really couldn't choose to prioritize one over the other, so I'm sending out my (semi-considerable) resumes to both types of programs and letting the fates (and funding) dictate where I'll be heading.)

For Creative Writing, I plan on applying (have already applied to some, in fact) to THE Ohio State University, the University of Colorado, the University of Iowa (despite my snowball's chance in hell of acceptance), Iowa State University, that School up North, possibly Purdue, and potentially Bowling Green State University. For Directing, I will be applying to Illinois State University, DePaul University, Ohio University, Purdue University, and Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. I'm not sure of acceptance to any of these places (it could be that my lack of success at finding gainful employment/internships has jaded my views of application processes), but I am committed to following whatever path it is that I'm supposed to.

I've been a firm believer for at least a decade now that everything has a tendency to work out the way that it's supposed to. Whether you want to call that faith or just dumb luck, feel free. I choose not to classify it as faith in a higher power; rather, it is faith that as long as I'm working to better myself, the right situations will present themselves, and it is up to me to embrace them to the fullness of my capacity.

Hopefully, there's cake.

For now, I leave you with the promise that I will be updating this mother-fucker on a more regular basis, and that the content will be somewhat more grounded in nature than it was in the months leading up to February 17th.

("Well, that's a bold faced lie, you fucker!" my associate yells through instant messaging. I forgot to mention him. In the months since, he has relocated to his original hometown of Livonia, MI. This does not limit the damage that he is certainly capable of. Alas, he is right; a potential for manic-tendencies will remain so long as I'm writing this thing, and you'd better believe it.)

At the same time, I will also be continually be providing content for The Addison Recorder, my own personal contribution (along with my three co-editors) to the glut of information and (partially) informed opinions on the Super Highway known as the Internet.

Until we meet again, bonne nuit, gentle readers. Bonne nuit to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment